Thursday, July 25, 2013

Foodie Friday -- July 26th


 Welcome to the July 26th Foodie Friday,
where good food is always on the menu.
 
I've been playing with The Novel Bakers every day, celebrating Lavender Week.
 
 
 
 
 
We read The Lavender Cookbook by Sharon Shipley,
looking up enticing recipes, dreaming of festivals and gardens, 
inventing a few dishes along the way.
 
You can catch up with all of the Novel Bakers' lavender marvelous, magical posts
by clicking on the links. Everything is in one place for your convenience.
 

Look for more NB lavender posts on Saturday and Sunday!

 
Here's a quick recap of Lavender Week at Rattlebridge. Just click on the links for the recipes.
 


 
 


 


 
 
Day 5 (Foodie Friday) : Pickled Lavender Carrots and Lavender Vinegar
 

Pickled Lavender Carrots are sweet and savory. They are perfect for
appetizers--even more perfect as "nibbles" with a salty margarita.


 
 Also, they were quite easy. I parboiled the carrots so I
didn't have to dust off my pressure cooker!
I love easy!

 
These carrots are swoon-worthy, if you like that sort of thing.

Pickled Lavender Carrots
                   
Carrots
fresh lavender sprigs or dry culinary buds
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup white sugar
 
Prepare your Ball jars, lids, and seals. Boil lids/seals.
Run the jars through the dishwasher.
 
Cut carrots to fit Ball jars. Then place carrots in a
deep pan and fill with salted water. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain and set aside.
 
In a separate saucepan, boil vinegar and sugar, adding a pinch of sea salt.
 
Lay jar on its side and add carrots, one at a time. Tuck in lavender sprigs.
Pour hot vinegar/sugar mixture into each jar, leaving 1" headroom.
Seal jars. Chill. Discard after 14 days.

(Adapted from a recipe in Discover Cooking with Lavender by Kathy Gehrt.)


 
 
The next recipe, lavender vinegar, has many uses, from culinary (vinaigrette; marinades) to
homekeeping (cleaning floors).  It makes a beautiful gift for your favorite cook, too.
 
Note: test a sample on your flooring before
applying diluted vinegar water.




Lavender Vinegar
 
White wine vinegar
lavender sprigs
decorative jar
 
This isn't a recipe, just a hand-me-down procedure. I used white wine/lemon vinegar. My lavender sprigs were past their prime, so I steeped culinary buds in the vinegar, then strained it before adding
the liquid to the sterilized jar.
 
Click HERE for a simple guide to making herbal vinegars.

Would you like to see a luscious, profusion of lavender?

You'll have fun visiting Mary (Home Is Where the Boat Is), Mari (Once Upon a Plate), Jain (A Quiet Life), and special guest baker Pam (Sidewalk Shoes). 





Lavender Week
July 22 - July 28 
 Several Bakers will have posts for you on Saturday and Sunday.

 
Thanks for sharing in our joy this week!
 
 
If you are participating in Foodie Friday,
please take a moment to read the guidelines.
To participate in Foodie Friday, locate the blue Inlinkz icon and follow the directions. The red "x"
will allow you to delete your link if you made an error; the "x" is visible to you only.

For a complete guide to this linky party, click HERE. If you have still have questions, click HERE
for a detailed Foodie Friday tutorial.

** By adding your link to Foodie Friday, you are granting us permission to include a photo of your FF recipe in a feature story.

** Would you like to add your recipes to the "Consuming Passions" group board at Pinterest?
It can be found HERE. We're a small, sociable group; Foodie Friday folks are always welcome to "pin" with us and chat about food. Just leave a comment on one of my recent"pins," so I'll be sure to see it, and I will send you an invitation. Or you can email me.

**I would like to ask pretty please if Pinners will visit the host blogs to pin photographs.
 



Pin It

Social Bookmarking

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting! Have a super week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us today. Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. The carrots look amazing, I can't wait to try them! Thanks for the great party, sweet lady. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavender carrots! These look so pretty. What a great party food.
    Thanks for hosting and for all the lavender shares this week. It's been fantastic! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lavender and I wouldn't mind trying those carrots!
    Thanks so much for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting such a great link party!

    Raven J. True Blue Baking

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Carrots are fantastic and I am sure we will enjoy them. This is a lovely post and thanks for hosting.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pickled carrots look fabulous and the lavender vinegar looks delightful! Thanks for sharing and hosting, Michael Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those carrots are definitely swoon-worthy! Just gorgeous! Thanks for another great party!

    ~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been in a lavender trance all week Michael, and can only say that all the posts have been a feast for the senses~the pickled carrots are an unexpected and intriguing delight, I just might have to try this! Thank you for all the incredibly lovely posts, photos, and recipes from the Novel Bakers.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lavendar images are inviting. Loving the carrots in the mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the lavender! Have been seeing a lot of posts on Lavender this past week! It is so romantic to cook with it!~
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely lavender! So many wonderful creations using lavender! :-) I've linked up two cooling concoctions this week--Chocolate Cherry Milkshake and Purple Cow. They're perfect for the summer heat. ;-)

    Happy weekend to all!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always been intrigued by lavender in food. I have never tried it but think I may be swayed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your post today with the lavender! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for hosting and letting me join in. Thanks to all the lavender ladies that worked so hard and have been incredibly creative. I am just amazed and appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for hosting, and thanks for a lovely site! I am new to Foodie Friday :) I have shared my Homemade Honey Ice Cream. It is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients, and it has no refined sugar! Hope you like it.

    -Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh your pickled lavender carrots looks so pretty and fresh! I just so happen to have a wonderful Lavender Margarita recipe to go with :) Love your pretty lavender vinegar too! I see more delicious and fragrant things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love love love the look of those lavender pickled carrot jars! Gorgeous photos as always, just a joy to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You carrots are worthy of a food magazine cover. They are just gorgeous. I've enjoyed everyone's posts on lavender this week and have learned a lot.

    Thanks for hosting. I've linked a fun one - a watermelon seed spitting contest and BBQ ribs.
    Sam








    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so going to use the lavender carrots in one of my next cooking with herb classes. I enjoy using lavender with I each those classes for one always assumes lavender in the bath not in the cake! But those pickled carrots look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The carrots are beautiful Michael! Have a great weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for hosting! We love lavender. I rub lavender oil on the bottoms of my kids' feet when they are keyed up and need to relax. Life saver. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have always loved lavender. My daughter (5) especially likes sugared lavender blossoms to adorn her tea plates although she hasn't become brave enough to eat them yet. Thank you for hosting. Your blog is beautiful!

    Widgy Cat from catsonthehomestead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh the recap is making my mouth tingle, is it wrong to crave lavender at 5 am? those carrots are GORGEOUS! i have never pickled before, but something that pretty, WITH LAVENDER, i must try! where did you find such cute little carrots, i only know 2 sizes, jumbo and teensy... i am on a mission when i get home to make these~

    i love the lavender vinegar, i was at a homegoods grand opening yesterday and bot all kinds of oils and vinegars for 1.99 each, its just nice to have different on hand, and lav vinegar would be extra nice! homemade even better :-) wonderful shots and what great easy recipes for lavender week, i will be making both soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos! Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can smell the lavender coming through the computer screen Michael Lee. What beautiful photos! Thanks for hosting.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for hosting! that lavender is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Help! I need to remove my post. I linked to the wrong page and it now goes to the editing page!! Can you remove it please? I am unable to do it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I removed the extra link, and you're good to go. Your cookies look delicious, by the way!

      Delete
  29. Those photos are really pretty!!! I love lavender and I could smell those lovely lavender right through my screen!

    ReplyDelete

There you are! I'm so glad you're here. Love, MLee xxoo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails